what am i up to?

Monday, July 03, 2006

have a safe and happy holiday!

tomorrow is the 4th of july. a happy little holiday that celebrates the independence of our nation.

as you all know - my family has been professional pyrotechnics for sunset fireworks for as long as i can remember. maybe even longer. i don't remember a single july 4th where i watched fireworks shot by someone who wasn't my father - except maybe for that one year that we got tornadoed out in bellville and the mayor gave us free dairy queen...

and the ONE YEAR we went to lost valley lake instead when nina was 6 months old...

it's impossible for me to watch a finale rack without holding my breath. i don't watch fireworks without worrying. that's my family holding those flares. that's my daddy who walks along side the finale rack and stops to relight it when it stops. i don't think that i enjoy the 4th the way that most normal people do. the "romantic" and "cool explosive" part of fireworks are lost on me.

anyway, this will probably be the 10th or so year that we've done a show for a fancy country club in ladue. i doubt anyone will notice that one of the crew this year is missing because he has been deployed to iraq. isn't that ironic? while these people sip their wine and beer and eat their cheese and celebrating their freedom - one of their usual entertainers is deployed to iraq and they won't even realize it.

i can't help but acknowledge the irony.

anyway - everyone have a safe holiday. leave the fireworks to the professional crazies like my family. don't drink and drive. be responsible.

and be safe bob.

karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a fun year when I went with you to the country club to watch their fireworks. :)